Project Development Associate
Date: May 11, 2017
Location: Richmond, CA, US
Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 7,000 in North America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
SUMMARY OF ROLE
We are seeking an experienced Utility Sales Associate to help implement strategies and tactics necessary to develop solar power plant projects for a diverse set of customers. The Utility Sales Associate is responsible for working with senior utility group project developers to enable the construction of large-scale solar projects. This includes securing new project sites, progressing the electrical interconnection study process, and pursuing various land entitlements including local, state and federal permitting. In addition, the Associate will support SunPower’s sales efforts to secure off-takers by conducting market research to identify potential customers, bidding into competitive processes, and negotiating terms on multi-million dollar contracts. We are looking for a hardworking team player with proven ability to achieve results in a dynamic environment. The candidate should be self-motivated and self-directed and be able to manage relationships across a large organization effectively.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyze economic returns of projects and conduct sensitivity analysis using robust financial models
- Put together comprehensive proposals for customers, including marketing documents and project pricing
- Interface with design, estimating, performance, engineering, construction, O&M and other SunPower departments
- Research and evaluate candidate sites for project feasibility based on factors like parcel ownership, zoning, and current land use
- Manage land, permitting and interconnection consultants to ensure work product is high quality, timely, and accurate
- Interface with utility transmission and independent system operator personnel in support of execution of interconnection agreements
- Support negotiations to finalize power purchase agreement terms; support the drafting and execution of final off-taker agreements
- Provide leadership by managing project development meetings, coordinating with internal stakeholders to ensure the efficient flow of material information, and maintaining project budgets
- Create presentations for senior management and executive team deal review committees seeking approval of significant capital investments.
RELATED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS Minimum requirements –
- ~5 years of work experience
- Strong educational background
- Good understanding of the energy business
Preferred requirements –
- Exposure to the energy industry, either via academics or a professional role
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize competing time demands
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrated financial modeling experience
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective at presenting information for executive decision-making
- Knowledge of finance and business concepts
- Fluency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat
- Advanced degree in technology, energy, business, finance or other relevant area of study from a top institution
- Solar industry experience
- Real Estate development experience
- Coursework/experience in Land Development and Policy
- Coursework/experience in Energy Policy and/or Technology
- Understanding of utility regulatory environment
- Experience with environmental review processes
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
SunPower Supports EEO
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Job Segment: Real Estate, Sales