Manager Procurement, Power Plants Americas
Date: May 5, 2017
Location: Richmond, CA, US, 94804
Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 7,000 in North America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Americas PROJECT PROCUREMENT MANAGER, is responsible to manage project specific goods and services procurement in the Power Plants Operations team. The AMERICAS PROJECT PROCUREMENT MANAGER will ensure the proper contracting of all Services and Goods needed for Power Plant projects, and in general any services or good required in Power Plants division in US & Chile, ensuring customer requirements fulfillment as reflected in the contracts. This position will report to the Director Global Estimating, Procurement & Project Controls.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Assume responsibility for all project Subcontractors, Suppliers and Partners subcontracting and contractual activities, from Hand Over from Sales until all relevant contractual obligations are complete and all relevant contractual issues are resolved / settled.
- Prepares the Request for Quotation (RFQ) package, being responsible of collecting all pertinent inputs form other departments, ensuring their involvement, (Technical Description, Project Planning requirements, etc), together with the Commercial conditions package he/she prepares.
- Ensures full alignment of Quotations, involving all corresponding departments, throughout the deviation and clarification processes, including, but not limited, meetings with bidders, organizing them. Ensuring that all legal aspects in Subcontractors, Suppliers and Partners Contracts are fully aligned with those appearing in Customer Contract (by others): Warranties, Penalties/LD’s, Insurances, Bonds, etc.
- Once, ensured the full alignment, and if necessary, prepares open bid process or other leading to best technical and economical offer.
- Prepares Final Tabulation of the offers received, compiling technical, economical, warranties, etc comments and recommendations, for final stakeholder decision (for instance, Project Manager).
- Once selected, finalizes agreement on commercial, technical and other conditions with final vendor, preparing final contract documentation, including Request for Purchasing (RFP), Technical Annexes, Commercial Agreements, etc.
- Issues Purchase Request (PR) in Oracle system (or ERP equivalent), ensuring implementation of Sunpower policies for approval chain signatures.
- Applies Change Order mechanisms as reflected in the contract, when necessary, and properly recording it and justifying.
- Manages Claims to / from Subcontractors, Suppliers and Partners when required, preserving Sunpower interests.
- Leads Contractors, Suppliers and Subcontractors qualification processes, involving all Australian Customer Operation and EPC Teams, according process, keeping records of
- Once qualified, establish frame agreements across the Region
- Submits weekly and monthly reporting on Procurement activities: at Project, Departments, Countries and Regional Levels, with clear Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
- Supports the Project Manager for management of Subcontractors and/or Suppliers Variation Requests / Orders, and when required for Customers.
- Achieves cost, quality and delivery goals and objectives for the whole Procurement cycle of the assigned Projects, in particular for Project Specific items.
- Influences technical design decisions in the interest of achieving optimal cost, quality, and delivery
- Develops and manage overall suppliers and subcontractors relationships
- Manages suppliers and subcontractors performance and capability development
- Maintains personal knowledge of market trends including rigorous analysis of market drivers, cost structures, technical improvements and competitive landscape, applying it to their functions
- Identification of obligations with Customers, translating them to Partners, Subcontractors, Suppliers and other third party Contracts and development and implementation of the Contract Execution and Commercial Plans, including Project Claim, Change Order, etc strategies.
- Liaise with Project Planner/ Controller to ensure appropriate schedules for Subcontracts and/or Suppliers are produced and maintained, to support Project Claim Strategy
- Preservation of Sunpower’s rights and entitlements as provided in the Contracts. Ensure proper notices are given in line with contract requirements. Management of claims to / from Subcontractors, Suppliers and Partners. Only when requested, supports the management of claims to / from Customers as required.
- Establishment and implementation of project specific contractual procedures, particularly regarding claims, insurance, variation orders, correspondence and notifications for Subcontractors and Suppliers.
- Management of Project Insurances. Submission, monitoring and settlement of insurance claims in accordance with the Policies.
RELATED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of people management experience
- Post-graduate work is desirable
- OR equivalent combination of education and years of related experience
- Educational: Bachelors in Business Administration or Engineering (Commercial, Industrial, Civil, Electromechanical).
- Experience: above 5 years of progressively responsible experience in Procurement and/or Project Management is required including Supervisory/Management experience in a construction and/or engineering and/or Utility industry.
- Skills/ competencies:
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Extensive contract negotiation experience.
- Specific training in subcontracting
- Strong orientation towards cost reduction
- Strong analytical skills (i.e. cost modeling, quotation analysis, supplier selection)
- Highly adaptable in a very dynamic and changing environment.
- Understanding of Procurement, Purchasing Law
- Understanding of Project Risk management
- Understanding of Technical aspects of PV sector
- Ability to be flexible and work in a problem-solving environment
- Experience of any level (from low to high) negotiations
- Ability to prioritize
- Team, Detail and Service oriented
- Highly organized, with ability to handle several projects simultaneously
- IT tools: Microsoft Office Package (Word, Excel, Outlook), ERP tools (Oracle iProcurement)
- Languages: English native speaker. Fluent level both, written and spoken. Spanish a plus.
- Location of the job: this position will be based in Richmond, California.
- % of travel required: this position requires travelling for punctual occasions, such as meetings, subcontract finalization, qualification processes, etc (less than 25%)
- Candidate must be legally entitled to work and reside in USA.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
SunPower Supports EEO
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Job Segment: Database, Oracle, Manager, ERP, Project Manager, Technology, Management