Transmission Manager, Utility Power Plants
Date: May 7, 2017
Location: Portland, OR, US, 97204
Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 7,000 in North America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
Manager Transmission and Interconnection
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Manager, Interconnection and Transmission ( Manager) will support SunPower America’s power plant development group, providing technical transmission and interconnection support in the development of large-scale photovoltaic (PV) power plants throughout North America. The Senior Manager will interact with SunPower’s internal development team, interconnecting utilities, and customers with a thorough understanding of the technical aspects of SunPower technologies, inverter based generation, transmission and interconnection options, and wholesale electric market
operations. With regards to transmission and interconnection, the Manager will be responsible for array of technical and development activities including:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
* Assessing utility requirements for interconnection at the transmission and distribution level and utility generator performance
* System power flow and load-resource modeling for purposes of assessing network capacity
* Prepare applications for interconnection and transmission service
* High level estimation (scope, cost, and schedule) of interconnection methods of service, interconnection facilities, and utility network upgrades
* Analyze and respond to interconnection request study results and engage with utilities to optimize utility service.
* Manage and coordinate work performed by associates, analysts, engineers, and outside consultants
* Support project origination with estimated cost and schedule outcomes and preparation of interconnection aspects of sales proposals
* Support initiatives to promote SunPower PV power plant technology in industry policy, regulatory, and code setting forums.
RELATED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
* BS or BSc degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or allied field, and a minimum of 5 years’ experience (equivalent combination of post-graduate education and years of work experience) in positions directly involved with power system planning, interconnection aspects of generator project development, utility substation engineering, or transmission engineering;
* Demonstrated technical knowledge of electric generation engineering and technology; power systems planning engineering principles used for assessing generator transfer capability; and grid operator (NERC, regional reliability boards, FERC) reliability and security requirements for grid- connected generators;
* Proficiency with standard electric grid modeling tools used in planning and interconnection studies (e.g., GE PSLF, Siemens PSS®E, PowerWorld Simulator, DigSILENT PowerFactory);
* Ability to excel in a deadline oriented, and fast paced dynamic work environment;
* Excellent written and verbal skills; and
* Ability to travel estimated at 15 %
* Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in relevant engineering field or in business,
* Work experience and knowledge in multiple regional markets, including California, Intermountain region, Texas, Southeast, and Latin America.
* Knowledge of SCADA and communication technologies and requirements for grid-connected generation,
* Knowledge of codes and requirements for distributed generation (distribution interconnections),
* Knowledge of principles and methods for protection engineering for generation interconnections, and
* Proficiency (engineering and contracts documents) in Spanish or other non-English language.Equal Employment Opportunity
Location: Portland, OR, US
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
SunPower Supports EEO
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
Nearest Major Market: Portland Oregon
Job Segment: Manager, Outside Sales, Management, Sales